Couldn’t score tickets to Hamilton? The next best thing is performed by Roosevelt! That’s Roosevelt High School here in Northeast Seattle. Bring the entire family to a show. Avoid downtown traffic for a low pressure outing that supports the budding thespians in your neighborhood. During Roosevelt High School’s open house, we heard the teachers and students proudly announce the upcoming performances including their epic Spring musical “Fiddler on the Roof.”
While you may already know about Roosevelt High’s Jazz Band and their annual performance of the Jazz Nutcracker, our neighborhood high school also boasts a top-rate drama program.
This season’s “Fun to Enjoy” is “FIDDLER ON THE ROOF” at ROOSEVELT HIGH.
- WHAT: “Fiddler on the Roof,” a live musical and dramatic performance
- WHEN: May 24, 25, 31st and June 1 and 2, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. (also Sunday, June 3 at 2:30 p.m.)
- WHERE: Roosevelt High School’s Theater at 1410 NE 66th Street, Seattle, WA 98115. For a map, CLICK HERE.
- PARKING? Yes.
- For tickets, CLICK HERE. (on sale starting May 1, 2018.)
For other shows put on by the Roosevelt High School drama department, including The Variety Show in April, CLICK HERE.
As you may know, Fiddler on the Roof is about the Jewish family of Tevye, the local dairyman (“I have 5 daughters!”) of a vulnerable village within Imperial Russia during the early 1900’s. The family and their neighbors struggle with changes as the evil czar tries to force them out of the neighborhood to make room for others. Famous songs include “If I Were a Rich Man,” “Matchmaker, Matchmaker“, “To Life,” and “Sunrise, Sunset.” I am hoping that the wedding scene features the nail-biting, balancing bottle dance. According to Wikipedia, “Fiddler held the record for the longest-running Broadway musical for almost 10 years until Grease...It won nine Tony Awards, including Best Musical, score, book, direction and choreography. It spawned five Broadway revivals and a highly successful 1971 film adaptation.
FUN FACTS ABOUT ROOSEVELT HIGH SCHOOL:
- Number of Students: 1,700 (approx)
- Origin of Name: President Theodore Roosevelt
- Mascot: The Rough Riders
- Year Established: 1922
- Famous Alumni: Noble Prize winner Linda B. Buck; Cartoonist Linda Barry; musician Sir Mix-a-Lot; Joe Rantz, the powerful rower of “Boys in the Boat;” and Dan Evans, former Governor and U.S. Senator.
MORE FUN THIS SEASON:
- Flights of Fancy: Art Show at The Gargoyle Statuary on The Ave in the U District, Opening Night: Fri, March 16, 2018 from 6-9 p.m. (runs thru April 17).
- Debuts & Discoveries: Food, wine, and fun at Hangar 30 in Magnuson Park, Sat, March 17, 2018 from 5-9 p.m. hosted by the University Sunrise Rotary Club. For tix, CLICK HERE.
- Best of the Northwest Arts & Fine Crafts show – 30th Anniversary – Sat, March 24 and Sun, March 25, also at Hangar 30 in Magnuson Park.
- Caspar Babypants Music: For fun for the tiny music lovers in your family, CLICK HERE for a concert at the Neptune Theatre in the U District on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Learn more about the Roosevelt neighborhood, named after former President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt. Check out the Roosevelt Neighborhood Association (RNA) and read their publication “The Roosie.” While the RNA typically hosts an annual “Bull Moose” Festival, they are not able to in 2018 due to lack of time / volunteer power :(. So, neighbors, that’s a call to action: for several ways to get involved and boost the RNA, CLICK HERE. The RNA continues to have monthly meetings about key events and issues in the neighborhood, including the proposed mixed-used, 245-unit affordable housing project that will sit on top of the light rail station opening in 2021.
The Roosevelt neighborhood is going through a lot of changes with the light rail station and upzones (the big red crane has been a recent fixture). One of our first Stores to Adore already closed Peaks Frozen Custard and many other may be pushed out by demolitions and rising rents on cherished neighborhood businesses such as Teddy’s Tavern. We at 4toExplore.org have featured a few more including Rain City Burgers, Bengal Tiger, and India Bistro.